Friday, July 29, 2011

Day 6:  Grinnell to Coralville (back in the saddle again - or seat)



Today was a great day.  It was still hot and humid but not quite as bad as earlier in the week.  I've talked to people who have rode in Ragbrai for several years and have commented that this year has been A LOT harder because of the heat.  At least it's not just me.  Enjoyed riding with my husband again today.  Thanks Kathy.  Today I wore a pink wristband to support friend who had surgery today for breast cancer. There are lots of different charities and fundraisers that set up along the roads of Ragbrai and today I came across a group of three woman from Iowa City who do a breast cancer walk each year for family and friends who have been affected by breast cancer.  I talked with them for a while and took some pictures (unfortunately my iPad will not upload pictures - I will upload pictures as soon as I have the technology to do so).  Today was a day with a lot of hills.  They were hard to ride up and sometimes I thought about
getting off and walking up the hill.  But I kept trudging along to the top.  Of course after I got to the top, there was a nice downhill ride which helped rejuvenate me until the next hill.   Life is a lot like that for everyone.  We all have peaks and valleys.  Sometimes life throws us curveballs and we're forced to decide whether we want to give up and let life direct our path or keep on trudging up the hill and choose to direct the path our lives take.  We can't change some things, they are what they are. But
we can change how we respond to the challenges in life. Today I  thought about several people in my life who are experiencing some of those curveballs life sometimes throws.  They are strong and vibrant people who have much to offer in this life.  So today I want to dedicate my ride to Suzi, Ann, Janey, Angela, Cheri, Karen, Glenn, John, Jim, and Kelli.  I know each of them will make it to the top of the hill.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Cid! Looks like the ride was a lot of fun, a lot of work to! I'm so proud to be your Sis! You are an inspiration to all of us... thank you. Love from all of us here in Hoytsville. :)

    ReplyDelete