Friday, July 29, 2011

Day 5: Altoona to Grinell




If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.  Well, I literally could not take the heat so today I stayed out of the ride.  After two days of heat exhaustion, I needed a day to recover.  It killed me to not be able to ride, but I knew the route was hard and it was going to be hot again.  I didn't want to ruin it for the last couple days.  We had fun in downtown Grinnell just enjoying the Ragbrai experience.  Every town we go to has a party waiting. On the ride into Grinnell, I spent time with John and his wife Sue.  John also has PD and is one of the funniest and most positive people I know as is his wife Sue.
They exemplify the saying "salt of the earth". In the afternoon,  I was able to spend time with my husband, Kathy, and two new friends who also have Parkinsons Disease; Karen, who is an ObGyn in Cleveland, and Glenn, also from Cleveland who was a courtroom litigator.  I'm definitely hanging with the smart crowd.  Both are young onset PDers like myself and it has been so much fun to get to know them.  Strength in numbers.  So even though I didn't get to ride, I still had a great day.  I will be rested and ready to go tomorrow for day 6.

Picture: Iowa has lots of corn fields!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment