Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day 3: Carroll to Ames

\
Did I mention it was hot.  Thank goodness for the friendly people of Iowa who have water/pb and j/ watermelon/ etc. for sale around every corner.  Pilot Mound had the best pie and the best cooling station and the best welcoming committee.  The town paid for a new fire station with the proceeds from the 1989 Ragbrai and opened up the fire station to Ragbrai riders to cool off and eat some home cooked delights.  Pat took a break today and rode with me.  Oh yea, so did Lance Armstrong.  Apparantly he blew right past me; of course most everyone blows right past me.  But this is not a race, it's a ride (thank goodness or I'd be in trouble).  I made it up twister hill (okay I walked most of the way).  But I was with good company.  Rode through the place where they filmed "Twister".  No flying cows today just heat and humidity.  The picture is of me taking one of the MANY water/cool down breaks of the day.  I am making some great new friends within the Pedaling for Parkinsons group and on the road also.  Lots of people ask about our riding jerseys and want to know more.  I've had some great discussions about the link between cycling and PD while riding through cornfields in Iowa.  Something I never would have dreamed about a year ago.  Up early again tomorrow to try and beat the heat.

4 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you Cid! Also, it sounds like you have the ride-bug I've been afflicted with for a while! Love it... love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Cid :) I'm proud if you sista! If it makes you feel any better it has been hot AND humid here so your missing the double-wammy we're getting. Looking forward to your future posts. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cid, we are so proud of you. You are an inspiration to us all. Stay strong but most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!

    Love you,

    G

    ReplyDelete