Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Day 3: Lakeview to Webster City (The 4H Club)



Iowa has it’s very own 4H Club  (Heat, Humidity, Hills, and Headwind).  All 10,000 + riders at Ragbrai this year are now a part of the 4H Club.  Today pretty much kicked everyone’s (including  the elite riders in our group) behinds. Most of the group rode the entire 82 miles and it was tough.  I have committed to doing what I could this year in light of some of the recent challenges I’ve had so I rode 38 miles (actually 37 ½ because at the bottom of humongous hill #2, a local farmer offered to drive a bunch of us  up the hill – couldn’t pass that one  up).  Pat was waiting for me halfway up the hill and just shook his head as I drove by with a big smile on my face.  About 10 miles out of Webster City there was a sign that said “Giant Fan”.  Made me chuckle; a much larger fan was blowing across the state.  We started out taking a break every 8 or 9 miles, then every 4 or 5, then 3, then 2, you get the drift.  Other things that saved my life: camelback with Gatorade, water breaks (both to drink water and to douse my head with), watermelon, bee stingers, shade trees, (and of course, nice farmers who offer SAG). We arrived in Webster City to find a nice but very dry and hot empty lot reserved for our group.  We set up camp and went next store to a church that was serving food.  As we sat there enjoying the air conditioning, home made egg rolls, corn on the cob with butter and parmesan cheese, and fresh lemonade  (strange combination but yummy), the thought came that if we moved all the tables and chair out, this would be a great place to sleep.  So Jason (the negotiator) talked to the pastor and soon after we were sleeping inside with AC.  Bob, the most awesome guy across the street offered to let us use his shower. So there you have it, Midwestern hospitality again at it’s best. 

Pictures from Day 3:




Lakeview bike arch a day late

I came to Iowa, the wind almost killed me, but it was worth the "risk"



We pulled into an old cemetery in somewhere, Iowa; this is what I found.
Cool station!









No comments:

Post a Comment